Sunday, April 28, 2013

Flint Hills Discovery Center

Don and I went to the spring football game on Saturday, but since he had a DU board meeting before, Doug Thompson and I spent some time at the Flint Hills Discovery Center.  Wow.  What an amazing place.

The modernistic limestone building fits well with the mall and the surrounding buildings.  Enter into the building, and suddenly a person is transported into another place - the flint hills.  I have never been to a 4-D movie, but it was worth every minute.  We experienced fire, snow, and wind all while viewing beautiful scenery.

The exhibits were created for young and old.  Little ones can go on a scavenger hunt while the "more mature" can learn as much or as little as they want.  I found the activities for the children to be appropriate and interesting (I learned a lot), yet there was plenty more to learn when I wanted to.  The designers used many different mediums to teach, with great effectiveness!

We should have allotted four hours for the museum . . . we didn't get through the downstairs, much less the second floor.  Sometime we will have to spend the day in Manhappenin' so that we can experience the full effect of the Flint Hills Discovery Center.

2 comments:

  1. My friend Alison goes regularly. I need to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be a great place to take your classes . . . except Open House is so awesome, you wouldn't have time. So you will just need to take a second trip to Manhappenin!

    ReplyDelete