Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Roads to Quoz

When Diana gave her father the book, Roads to Quoz, by William Least Heat-Moon, her thinking was that it would be a good book to read as he was preparing to enter retirement (some four years ago, or so).  At the time, neither of us had time to read it, so it sat on the shelf.  I knew someday I would pick it up . . . and I did, just before our trip to the cabin.

Having never read anything by William Least Heat-Moon, but knowing he was a good writer, I did not know what to expect, but I assumed it would be good.

My first thought as I began the book was how I wished I could write like he does.  He uses a wide spectrum of vocabulary, from edification, vagaries and vagrant (all within the same sentence) to every "q" word you could possibly think of (Quinquagesima, quintessences, quisquilious and quidnunc, for example).  Then he connects those words in a poetic, rhythmic way that makes reading such a long book a pleasure.

No, this is not a fast read.  But then, I don't think it is supposed to be.  The subtitle is "An American Mosey," which is how it is intended to be read.  Basically, he writes about several trips he has taken through various parts of the United States, detailing some of the stories he was told during his travels.  He has learned the art of storytelling well, and if one likes reading about the oddities and vagaries of small-town America, this is the book for you.

Although the book is long, it could be read in sections, but I found it enjoyable just to sit down, read a bit, fix some tea, and read some more.  And within a week, I had finished its 550+ pages.  Highly recommended for those who love beautiful words put together to tell a story.

No comments:

Post a Comment