Wednesday, February 4, 2015

The Rest

Diana and Nick left for Austin on Sunday, but Di stopped at her cousin's in Dallas, as she was concerned about driving eight hours (her doc was nervous about it, too).  When I called her on Monday, it was obvious she had been crying.  She expressed that she was rethinking the whole wedding idea.  It was too fast, too much had happened . . . it just wasn't right.

Once she arrived in Austin, she and Nick agreed to postpone the wedding, but by the weekend, Diana knew that she was not ready to go through with it.  She took back the ring, and that was it.

I have never gone through anything like this before.  It is hard to see one's child in pain, and I couldn't fix it.  Only she could do that.  It is also hard to see someone else in pain . . . I couldn't fix that, either.  Both of them were hurting, but love does that.

When Don and I were dating, a priest with whom we talked told us love makes one the most vulnerable ever, can hurt worse than anything, but is worth all of the pain it can cause.  I would agree, but it doesn't make it any easier.

I am proud of the way both parties have handled this.  It could have been nightmarishly awful, but the respect they have shown for each other has been heartening.  There are no gory details, they are not spreading stories . . . it is just a case of two people figuring out that although they loved each other, they were not right for each other.  Reminds me of the movie The Way We Were, with Robert Redford and Barbara Streisand.

Anyway, it has been a busy three months.  I am hoping that things calm down a little, and that Diana finds peace with her decision.  I am sure she will.


No comments:

Post a Comment