Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Stonehenge

Once we had our itinerary set and knew what Trine's work schedule was, we began to look at our options.  One thing Don and I have wanted to do was to go to Stonehenge, so I found a tour that would take us there and back in about 6 hours.

We left the station at about 9:00 a.m. on a bus that was very comfortable.  Because we were still fairly jet lagged, we napped a bit before we arrived.  We only had 1.5 hours, which was not enough, but we did get to see the highlights.

As we approached the area, suddenly this mound of rocks appeared.  I don't know what I was expecting, but the small area it encompassed was not it.  I guess I thought it would be this huge area . . . and it is except that the rocks are a very small part of the whole site.

The bus dropped us off, and we headed toward the rocks.  The area where the temple stands is less than the size of a football field.  The rocks are massive . . . but I expected uber-massive, I guess.  As we learned about the site, however, it became more and more impressive.

As we were leaving, we saw a field trip of young children.  I laughed.  Our students go to the zoo; British children go to Stonehenge.  I wonder what they learned there, but Stonehenge is an important part of English history, so I am glad they are starting young.


We were back to London by 2:30, wishing we had had a little more time, but glad we were able to see it at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment