Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Reflections on Isolation, Corona, and More

It has indeed been a weird few months.  Not long after we returned from New Mexico, we began to hear of a virus in China that appeared to be headed our way.  We were able to have our Author Dinner, but not long after, the country began to shut down.  We were told to social distance, to stay home.  And we did.  For six weeks.  Right before spring break, schools closed down, churches quit having services, many business closed, all restaurants shut . . . it was something we have never seen before.

We had no Easter services, all sports were shut down, schools did not hold graduations or proms or awards ceremonies, weddings were postponed . . .

And I found out I really enjoyed the quiet.  I loved not having a schedule, we walked the dogs more than ever, we did projects that have been on our list for ages, we cleaned out - but had nowhere to take the stuff - and we didn't drive our cars more than a mile a day!  Although many hoarded toilet paper, we always have a lot on hand, so we escaped that drama . . . but other items were in short supply and we had to adapt.

I found that if I planned meals for two weeks and was not tempted to "make reservations," we did not waste food, and we ate well.  I hope I can sustain that trend.

We also learned about Zoom, and we held three or four Zoom meetings a week.  My high school friends and I have never kept in such good touch.  Don gets together with two of his men's groups, we talk to church friends, I go to Weight Watchers . . . it is rather nice to sit in our family room and not leave our house.

We missed our grandkids - but FaceTime helped us.  I got to see Diana once as we prepared for her wedding.  Unfortunately, she is one whose wedding has been changed.  We will be having a mini-mony on the original date, July 10, and the party will be next year!  I am so proud of Diana and Daniel and the way they have handled their disappointment.  But we have all found that we are relaxing, knowing that there will only be ten of us at the ceremony.

It has been an interesting time.

No comments:

Post a Comment