Friday, July 17, 2020

The Big Day - the Pandemic Way!

The first big news of the day was that Daniel's suit arrived by 9:30 a.m.  Don and I hung it in the bathroom, turned on the shower, and let it steam out.  It was as good as new by the time the wedding arrived.

We drove to the hotel to pick up Daniel, and I stayed at the hotel to be with Diana.  I was impressed with the provisions the hotel had made to keep the guests safe - only one person or family in the elevator, no one hanging around the lobby and we met no one in the halls.  I would say it was as safe as possible for us!

At the hotel, Di put on her make-up, we did her hair (not my strength, but she talked me through it!), I gave her a very soft and cute pajama short set, and by noon, Don was there to take us to pick up the dress and go to Barr Mansion.

I had no idea how we were going to get the dress to the Mansion, but the people at the dress shop certainly knew.  Within a few minutes, we had the dress wrapped in a sheet, and since we had the Jeep, it was easy to fold the back seat down to fit the dress.  Then we carried it into the Mansion (though it looked like we were carrying a dead body!).


The Barr Mansion staff made us feel very comfortable in the room, and after we had talked to Father Billy, arranged Diana's flowers in her hair, distributed the boutonnieres and discussed the social distancing, Di was ready to get dressed!

Di put my Kappa Key and my Mom's Kappa Key on the bouquet - something old and blue!  Unfortunately, her key was somewhere in the boxes in her bedroom, not to be found in time for the wedding!


The necklace was my grandmother's, and I wore it when I was married, too.  Something old - and borrowed!

To go with the copper theme of Di's birkenstocks, the boutonniere was wrapped with copper wire.

One rather humorous picture was taken by Don.  He looked outside and saw a person exterminating yellow jackets from the lanterns that were hanging overhead.  He took the picture and sent it to many friends, mentioning that Bill Murray had just shown up to take care of the preparations - a flashback to the movie Caddyshack.  That got quite the reaction from many men!!

And then it was time!



No comments:

Post a Comment