Wednesday, March 16, 2011

My Third Love/Hate Relationship

I didn't know I had so many "relationships of issue," but apparently, I do. And I am becoming very adept at identifying them.

Cars. I love cars. They take me to the cabin, they bring my kids home to me, they take me to K-State football games. I don't even mind feeding them, as it is a necessary evil. I don't mind insuring them. They are valuable enough, I need to protect them.

But. Cars can be a pain in the neck. First, they are one of the few major assets a person purchases that immediately decreases in value. They are lousy investments. But the biggest pain is when something goes wrong, especially something that the mechanic can't find. I am in the midst of one of those issues right now.

My purplish Jeep, with its 127,000 well-earned miles, has been a good car. Until February. Suddenly, the oil gauge began to register incorrectly, causing the "Check gauges" light to come on. The first time, I had the car towed because we thought there wasn't any oil pressure. As it turns out, the problem is very elusive. I have had it to the shop three times now, and I have even written to the "Car Talk" forum. We came up with a great solution, and yesterday, I was so delighted that we had fixed the car. Until this morning. Same issue. Only happens when the car is cold, so the mechanic only has a ten minute window to find the problem.

So I wrote the "Car Talk" forum again. They have had some good ideas. I hope one of them works. Don't want to send my purple car away, but those love/hate relationships sometimes cause people to do funny things. Complicated, complicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment