Wednesday, June 8, 2011

How Dry I Am.

I just spent a week in the mountains, and the weather conditions are just plain scary. First, when we arrived the oak and aspen trees were not even leafed out. They are very late . . . usually they are budding out in early May. The apple trees were just blooming; the Lady's Slippers hadn't even come up (though they may have died because it got so cold this year); some of the very early flowers were not blooming.

To add to the weirdness, the stream was as low as it is in September. By this time, the spring run-off should be in full swing. Unfortunately, there was no run-off. The run-off happened so early, it barely affected the stream flow gauge that we follow.

Finally, the wind was blowing more than I have ever experienced in the high country. The first night I was there, the wind blew hard all night long . . . I have never known that to happen. And it blew the whole week. The pine pollen was "poofing" from the trees in quantities that turned the porch floor yellow. The wind brought in hot air . . . and lots of it. Which dried out the forest floor even more.

I am relieved that the Forest Service is watching so closely, and I hope they put a fire restriction on campfires. They see that the forest is scary dry . . . I pray that no one does something stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment