Saturday, April 7, 2012

The Easter Tree



Just after Don and I were married, my parents bought us a dogwood tree for our house. I had never heard about dogwoods, but Mom and Dad had just traveled through Arkansas and Missouri while they were blooming and they thought they were so beautiful, they brought us one. We planted it where we thought it would grow, but unfortunately, it didn't survive.

In the next few years, I would see the occasional dogwood, and on Woodlawn Street there is one fairly large dogwood that blooms every year. Other than that, my exposure has been limited.

I did learn that the dogwood is called the Easter tree by some people because the flowers look somewhat like a cross. It is also supposed to be the tree that was used to make the cross on which Christ was crucified.

This weekend Don and I went to Kansas City to pick up some furniture for Diana. It was during that trip that we had the opportunity to see the dogwoods blooming in all of their glory. The trees are spectacular right now, and within a block of Kenneth's and Melinda's house, I saw six or eight gorgeous trees.
These beautiful trees, blooming Easter weekend, helped me understand why the tree is called The Easter tree. May you have a beautiful and blessed Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment