Thursday, April 26, 2012

Philosophizing

Several times within the last few weeks I have talked to or read about stay-at-home moms questioning their decision to be at home because of criticism from their friends who have jobs outside the home . . . or vice-versa.  And that got me to thinking . . . which is always dangerous.

I am definitely a feminist, but I think that term has come under fire and been misunderstood.  The feminist fight I fought was not about which lifestyle is better.  It is about having a choice - and then within that choice having equal opportunity, non-discrimination, non-harassment, respect, and the ability to pursue a desired career with the same opportunities as others.

That means that those women who stay home for their families deserve the same respect as the woman who is in the work force.  Her contributions are equal to those of a teacher, a nurse, a doctor . . . they are just different.  It means a woman should be able to become a CEO if she is the best qualified - and be paid as such.  It means no glass ceiling.  It means no condescending remarks implying women who are at home don't work.  It means supporting each other . . . not sniping at each other.

A person close to me one time said that women are their worst enemies because they don't support each other.  We had quite the discussion, but based on my recent talks I think that statement might be right.  Having respect for each other's choices is another step toward the quest of equal respect and equal opportunity.

The end of my philosophizing.

2 comments:

  1. This is solid. It is about the choice - and I have mad respect for all the types of moms I know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks mom. It's just hard figuring out what that kind of support looks like when you're not sure if the woman is happy with her choice.

    ReplyDelete