Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Hand-me-downs

My mother was an excellent knitter.  When we were young, she could always be found with a knitting needle in her hand.  She would take us to the yarn shop to pick out yarn for our sweaters.  I had a beautiful celery-green V-neck, a bright orange cardigan (mohair), an off-white cardigan, and she even finished off my green knit dress that I started but neglected to finish.

When Katie was in ninth grade or so, Mom began to knit her a sweater.  She used a blue-green wool along with a blue-green mohair to make a V-neck, cable knit pullover.  I always loved that sweater.  Katie wore it throughout high school and perhaps college, but somehow I ended up with it.  In my thinner years (pre-children), I wore it numerous times - even to work.  It was warm and pretty . . . and I loved it.

Once I outgrew it, I could not bear to part with it.  So I kept it.  Don't exactly know why, but I did.  A few days ago, I decided to get it out to see if Di would be interested in it.  She jumped at the opportunity.  Not only did she like it, it fit beautifully!


So 45+ years later, Di's new sweater looks brand new.  And no one in the world has one like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment