Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Why I Love My Albuquerque Friends

As I left Bella Vista I thought back about the ladies and the various things we are all doing.  It fascinates me the paths we all took . . . Some predictable, some not.

For example, all of us except Anne were good seamstresses.  Sewing was just not Anne's cup of tea.  I could sew anything as long as I had a pattern, but the others branched out from there.  Now Kathy and Susan have become wonderful quilters.  It did not surprise me that Kathy became a quilter, as she has always done very creative work with cloth . . . You should see some of the outfits she made for Di!  But I never expected Susan to become a quilter . . . And she has made some lovely items.

Kathleen has taken her sewing a different direction.  She designs all sorts of items . . . From cloth to jewelry and makes them.  Her creativity knows no bounds!  She has also gotten very involved in Soroptomists, for which she makes many of her items.  Her group supports so many great causes, especially women's issues, that I cannot help but be impressed by her enthusiasm for the group.

Anne has gone a different directions.  In college she found ballroom dancing.  That was it.  Anne loves to dance, and she has found the competition to be challenging.  She is part of a group that has won the Senior Olympics National Championship for the past two years, and she is competing again next weekend.  Then she goes in for knee surgery . . . Now that is dedication.  To dance on such a bad joint takes grit and determination.  But that is what people do when they a passionate about something, and Anne is that!

Betsy could not be with us this weekend but her talents are just as amazing.  She, too, was a seamstress and she has done quilting.  She is also an artist, so she has drawn pictures of fish for a fish key as well as other things.  In high school, I was the nature, outdoor girl, but Betsy puts me to shame.  Her adventures in Alaska fill me with envy . . . She has waded with bears (well,  she was there when the bears appeared), she has seen more moose than I can imagine, and she is in better shape than any of us!

These are just some of the reasons I love my Albuquerque friends.  Such talented women who have gone in diverse directions make for interesting conversation and fun get-togethers.  I will always be grateful for their friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment