Friday, December 26, 2014

Puppies

The puppy love was real.  I wanted one. And as badly as I knew it was stupid to get a puppy in the winter, I also knew cock-a-poos are hard to find (except in Wisconsin or in puppy mills in Missouri).  So when an ad appeared in the paper on the day Don returned from China, I at least had to mention it to him.  When I called about them, he even suggested that we could go meet the pups in Hutchinson.  I was surprised that he was on board.

On a rainy Sunday afternoon, we met in the parking lot of the McDonald's in Hutchinson, and in the back of the car there were three blonde fuzz balls.  One, clearly bigger than the other two, had loads of personality, but it was obvious he was into everything.  The other two just wanted to come be with me. Don fell for the big one pretty quickly; I was leaning toward the runt, but we committed to the big one as we thought he would have more personality.  We couldn't take them, however, as we were headed to Kansas City the next weekend with no way to take them with us.  So we would have to wait until the next Sunday to get them.

Sunday afternoon we left Kansas City and drove to St. John, Kansas, which is an hour west of Hutchinson.  Long drive but worth it.  Once we got there, Di immediately started stumping for the second puppy.  I looked at Don who was visibly caving.  I knew we would be going home with two puppies, and I didn't have to say a thing!


No comments:

Post a Comment