Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Fahrenheit 451

Somehow I got through high school and college without reading Fahrenheit 451.  It is hard for me to believe, as many that I know read it then.  But I did not.  I regret that, but on the other hand, I don't.  That way, when it assigned for our Book Club, it was all new for me.

I believe the book would have been lost on me in high school, whereas now I can really appreciate it.  Although it was written in the 1940's, it is very interesting how much of Ray Bradbury's vision has come to fruition, in some way.  Probably the description of the people who no longer think and are only interested in being happy struck me the most.  Somehow, that part seems to be coming true.  It is rather scary to think about.

And although I don't envision books being burned in the near future, Fahrenheit 451 is a fair warning to society that ideas and thoughts, thinking and discussing, are the ways to better society.  Here's hoping that this book continues to be taught and read . . . its message is too important to be lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment