Thursday, October 6, 2016

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle

I purchased this book for Diana a number of years ago.  Oprah highly recommended it, and I thought she would like it.  But I was always afraid to read it.  I knew it was about a boy and his dogs, which for me is a recipe for a hearty cry.  So I decided not to read it.

Fast forward to this year, and I decided I needed to read it.  Diana said it was poignant . . . I say it is a true tearjerker.  About a young boy who was born mute but not deaf, it is the description of how he connects with a certain kind of (fictional) breed - the Sawtelle dog - and how he deals with his father's death.

The thing is, as good as the book was, and yes, as sad as it was, I felt the ending was totally wrong.  Because I don't want to spoil the book, I can't divulge what I thought should have been different, but I would love to discuss the ending.  I have read several reviews, and others have felt the same way.  It was as if the author just wanted to end the book - and he did.

Although I would have changed the ending, I thought the author's descriptions of a boy and his dogs was spot on . . . and the fact that I still tear up thinking of certain scenes tells how well he did.

No comments:

Post a Comment