Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Three Old Ladies, Whiskey and Cookies

My friends, Kathy Dunlavy and Ginny Marti, and I got together to bake cookies before Christmas.  I chose not to make any, as this family really does not need  them, but I enjoyed getting together with these crazy ladies!  Not only do they make me laugh, but Ginny's pup, Finn, does, too.

Ginny made some cookies that resemble fruitcake, except they are crispy and tasty (disclaimer - I like fruitcake, so fruitcake jokes are lost on me).  Anyway, Ginny mentioned that one of the ingredients in the cookies is whiskey.  She had decided to taste the whiskey and she liked it . . . so she brought out the whiskey for us to taste.  Kathy had been through a whiskey distillery several years ago, and while there, she learned there are ways to drink whiskey . . . and ways not to . . . but she couldn't remember.

So Karen, always the Googlemeister, looked it up.  The best way to drink whiskey is neat.  Well, that didn't help.  Once we learned "neat" means straight, while swishing it around in your mouth, we at least understood.  The next best way is on the rocks.  So Kathy tried it "neat."  It nearly took her breath away, and she wasn't convinced that swishing it in her mouth made any difference.  I chose not to indulge . . . it just didn't sound appealing.  But I learned a little about whiskey.

(Several days later, while having some egg nog, I mentioned the above story, and Susan said her family always used whiskey in egg nog.  We dug out some of our whiskey [which is from the late 70's - Hiram Walker, whose distillery closed in the '80s] and put just a little into the egg nog.  I tasted Don's, and I have to admit, it did add a little to the taste of the egg nog.  We didn't put enough in to cause the burn in the throat, and I thought it was ok, but not ok enough to put in my own egg nog!)

No comments:

Post a Comment