Thursday, November 2, 2017

Into Every Life Some Rain Must Fall

Many years ago - maybe 1982 - Liz McClure, the mother of two of our students, was talking about her daughter who had passed away.  I expressed my condolences, and I will never forget her comment to me . . . "Karen, into every life some rain must fall."

Don and I, Kenneth and Diana, Melinda and her family . . . we have all led charmed lives.  We still do .  But this year the realities of life have hit us in more ways than I can count.

Have there been good things?  Of course.  We had a wonderful trip to Spain, the cabin addition is awesome, CJ and Kara were married, little Mia joined our family.  Unfortunately little Mia's challenges have kept us on our toes, and they are not over yet.  Combined with the break-up of several relationships, the death of our 20-year-old godson, and illness among several of my friends, I am ready for the rain to lighten up.  I am beginning to feel like I need an Ark.

It is times like this that I remember the poem about the footsteps in the sand.  When there is only one set of prints, God reminds us that He is carrying us.  His one promise to us is that He will not abandon us, and this string of difficult times has certainly been proof of that.

We will continue to plug forward, knowing that we have great support from our family, friends, and God.  That is the best we can do.


No comments:

Post a Comment