Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Is Nicknaming Hereditary?

I grew up in a family of Nicknamers.  My grandfather had numerous nicknames for us (some that I won't reveal), my grandmother was known by hers - Brooks - and all of their dogs and cats had numerous names.  My mother had two nicknames for me, one (I think) for Katie, and many for Bart (poor kid - some very humiliating)!  Dad gave us other names, so we all had to respond to many different names.  And I noticed when I went to see Uncle John, that he does the same thing.

When I met Don, I gave him several different names, Kenneth and Diana both know of several they had, all of our dogs rarely were called the same thing on a daily basis.  Yet Don's family did not do the nicknaming thing!

So imagine my delight when Monday, I learned that Caleb had named his father Owl, his mother Kanga, himself Roo, Melinda's mom Piglet, her dad Rabbit, Don Pooh (because he has a honey pot, though I thought maybe it was because he has a Pooh tummy), and me Tigger!  It appears he has inherited the nicknaming gene . . . I can't wait to see where it takes him!!

No comments:

Post a Comment