Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Sometimes It is Just Too Weird

During the summer of 1972, between my freshman and sophomore year, I went to study in Mexico City with a KSU program.  About twelve others went too, and at the end of the program, three of them - Lyle Pishny, Mark Holt, and Francie Johnson - drove home from Mexico City.  They stopped for one night in Albuquerque, and they spent one night at the cabin before returning to Manhattan.

I had lost track of nearly everyone (except Ann Zutavern), but when I became a Trustee for KSU, Lyle was also a trustee.  I made sure to find him and reminded him of several of the things that happened to us during the trip.  We had a good laugh, enjoyed renewing our friendship, and moved on.

Last September, we were talking with our friends Carol and Steve King, whose family has had a cabin close to ours.  Carol and I grew up together at the cabin, and about 15 years ago, we solidified our friendship, and we have been close ever since.  At the time, Carol mentioned that she knew a very fine lawyer in Kansas City named Lyle Pishny.  Huh?  When I told her I knew Lyle and that he had actually been at the cabin, we all shook our heads in amazement.

Today, I finally had the opportunity to share the news with Lyle.  We were at the KSU Trustees meeting, and I was determined to find him.  I looked and I looked for him . . . and then noticed he was sitting right below me.  Ha, ha!  I showed him a picture of Carol and Steve, and asked him if he recognized them.  He looked at me, saying, "Carol and Steve.  How do you have a picture of them?"  When I explained the association, he was as astounded as the rest of us were.

We took a picture of ourselves, and then sent it to Carol and Steve.  This is one association that is so weird . . . and so fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment