Sunday, June 16, 2019

How to Re-Retire

Well, what I can say is it doesn't take long to figure it out.  After being retired for twelve years, I had gotten into a groove.  Retirement was great - I could do what I wanted, when I wanted, how I wanted . . . and then I received the phone call.

How could I refuse to return to the school?  My heart is there, and when they asked, I quickly agreed to return for a year.  After all, it is just a year.

Well, a lot happened in that year.  I had already had a few trips planned that I was, of course, allowed to go on.  That being said, I did not go to the cabin in October, as it was planned for Homecoming, and I needed to be at the school.  And when I accepted, I had no idea we would be having another grand baby.  We found out in September, and could not have been happier . . . but I knew I would not be able to participate as much as I would have loved.

Don took great care of me, however, having dinner on the table many times, or making reservations for the other times.  Some days I came home and fell asleep on the couch.  Some days I went to bed at 9:00.  But I never had trouble getting out of bed in the morning, and I looked forward to getting to work.  After Spring Break, however, I began to count the days.  I wanted to go back to the cabin; I wanted to see Tessa; I needed to begin to prepare for the trip to Alaska.

So I was delighted when my replacement wanted to start early.  I knew I was in the way, and it was time for him to take charge.  When I first retired, I was ready but tearful when I walked out of the school.  This time, I knew I was ready and that things would be fine.

I have been re-retired for four days . . . and it has been glorious.  I know I will not run out of things to do, and it is time to get on with things!

No comments:

Post a Comment