Thursday, September 5, 2019

If Only . . .

Because we were having trouble with the Willie, we decided to unhitch the Willie and change our route, including not going to Meziadin.  I love Meziadin because the bears are so close, but Bart insisted, and he was probably right.

Right after I began driving, I saw Bart and Katie on the side of the road, smiling. Apparently, a mama bear and her three cubs had come out of the woods and walked right by them.  They didn’t get many pictures, but they surely watched them cross the road.

I drove off to catch Don, and as I rounded a curve, I saw a big black “something” on the side of the road.  Since no one was behind me, and no one coming from the other way I slowed down to a complete stop. In the middle of the road. And I rolled down my window. And I said, “Well, hello there,” to the big bear sitting by the side of the road.  “How are you today?”  He continued eating and then looked up at me.  Still no one was coming, but I was worried about his getting hit, so I banged on the Jeep and honked the horn to scare him away . . . which I did.  All while my iPhone was on the seat next to me.  What a cool video I could have had!  I am still kicking myself three days later.  I think I was so concerned about him getting hit that I never thought to pick up the camera!! Imagine singing the "Bare Necessities" to a bear on the side of the road . . . 

After that, although we saw a few more bears, nothing could match that encounter!  We went into Smithers and stayed at a beautiful part called Glacier View, which had a view of a glacier across the valley.  We were next to a family that had been gone since January . . . they are headed home to Sacramento, but I don’t think I could be gone that long!


No comments:

Post a Comment