Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Farmer's Markets

We were in Santa Monica last weekend, and during that time, we went to two farmer's markets - the Brentwood Farmer's Market and the Santa Monica Farmer's Market. They were amazing!

The availability of gorgeous fresh fruit and vegetables amazed Don and me as we walked among the booths. In addition to beautiful strawberries and blueberries, numerous kinds of citrus filled bins, including some we had never heard of. The biggest artichokes we have ever seen, greens of all shapes and sizes, and potatoes graced other tables. I understand how much easier it would be to eat healthily if we could walk to the farmer's market and pick up such fresh food.

The walk through the market has inspired me to consider using other kinds of vegies that I have never tried. Today some Chinese cabbage was at Dillons. Am going to see if I can find a recipe for it. In the meantime, we have planted spinach, lettuce, onions and potatoes - rather mundane compared to what we saw in California, but they will taste good nevertheless.

1 comment:

  1. I miss farmers markets. I wish the veggies would would get to the rest of the country soon!

    ReplyDelete