Friday, May 3, 2013

Sourdough

When we were in Alaska a year ago, we purchased a package of sourdough starter.  Earlier this week, I decided to experiment with it, and today was my first effort.

In order to get the starter "brewing," I had to add 1 cup of flour and 1 cup of warm water to the starter.  Then over two days the concoction had to be stirred with a plastic or wooden spoon - no metal.  Once it began to bubble it could be used to bake bread, pancakes or other yummy fattening things.

The thing is this.  I don't particularly care for sourdough.  Don does . . . I don't.  So I saw no point in making sourdough bread that takes a lot of effort to bake and that only one of us will enjoy!  That meant going to the internet.

I decided to see whether there was a recipe for blueberry muffins with sourdough, and sure enough, there it was.  Easy as pie.  The dough did not have to rise, and by adding sugar, the sour taste was mitigated enough that I thought they were really good.

Tomorrow morning, we will try sourdough pancakes.  Not sure what I will think about those!

1 comment:

  1. Oooh! The sourdough pancakes sound good! I think I've had those somewhere in a restaurant recently...

    ReplyDelete