Friday, November 15, 2013

Such A Waste

One and a half years ago, Don won a new television.  We were pretty excited, as we would not have purchased such a large one.  It was a 42" plasma, HD television.  What a deal!

Well, not so much.  I really thought we would get more than one and a half years out of it.  On Tuesday, I turned on the television to catch the news.  It was not on yet, so I took a snooze.  When I awakened, the sound was on . . . but the picture wasn't.  In doing internet research, it sounded as if it was easily fixed, so we took it to the most reputable television store in town.

This afternoon, I received the ominous "We need to talk to you about your television."  I knew it would not be good.  Indeed, it could not be fixed.  Three boards were bad, and the parts are no longer available.  Huh?  Two and a half years and the parts are not available?

The television repair man said that RCA televisions usually last about two years.  And in looking at various websites, sometimes they go out within six or seven days of purchase.  Oh my.

What really upset me about the deal is the waste of resources that has gone into making such terrible products.  The oil it took to make the plastics, the energy it took to run the factory . . . all just to be thrown away.  No way to fix it, so it just went into the recycle pile.

What a shame.  So we purchased a television recommended by Hephner . . . one that they say has parts always available and is easy to fix.  I do not think I am unreasonable to expect more than one and a half years from a television set.  Hope we get it with this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment