Thursday, April 3, 2014

The Ordnance Museum

Shows what I know.  Ordnance vs. Ordinance.  I didn't know there was a difference, but now I do.

Hawthorne, Nevada is the home of a large munitions storage area.  Founded in 1928, munitions were manufactured and tested there, but now it is just storage and decommissioning.  The Ordnance Museum is the home of examples of many of the weapons used in military events, mostly since WWI.

Outdoors, numerous bombs, torpedos, and mines were displayed.  Recalling our trip to Denmark where we saw numerous WWII mines in Hanstolm and Kenneth pretended he was Cleuseau, Don stood next to it and said, "It's a Beum."


Inside there were many more ordnances, uniforms, and remnants of former wars.  They even have an old nuclear warhead.

I am learning to enjoy every place we go, even if it doesn't pique my interest.  And I learned a few things today - what a knee mortar is, how to spell ordnance, what a nuclear warhead looks like.  After about 40 minutes, Don had had enough and we were able to leave.  But I now understand better, military munitions and their importance to Hawthorne, Nevada.

No comments:

Post a Comment