Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Spring Break in Lake Havasu

On Saturday morning, while it was still cool, we all took a walk around the RV park, taking pictures of flowers and trees along the way.  We arrived at one boat access, and suddenly, Don was enthralled.  He was watching a huge truck, tricked out in every way possible, unload a $750,000+ speed boat into the water.  Once it was in, the people fired it up, and it sounded like Harley Day.  Don loved it.

I can tell I am old.  Although the boat was expensive, I was not particularly impressed.  It was obvious the young kids driving it were taking advantage of Daddy's money, and they did not appear to be particularly responsible.  How do I know?  They unloaded at least three cases of beer onto the boat - and there were only 5 of them.  And I can imagine when Daddy bought the boat, he told his insurance agent that he would be the only one driving it.  Sure!  (Can you tell I am an insurance man's daughter?)

Anyway, we didn't realize that it was spring break, but after our walk when we went downtown, it became apparent.  Cruising up and down the bay was every kind of boat imaginable - from run-down to very expensive.  Pulled up on the beach were more boats, including the one we had seen earlier.  Don said it reminded him of dragging Wyatt Earp.  See and be seen!




After lunch we walked up the walk to see all the partying.  Of course, there were hundreds of co-eds in their string bikinis, muscled-up guys strutting around, all seeming to have a good time.    When we were there, the alcohol had not gotten out of hand, but I suspect that by evening, it was a rocking and rolling place.  I have no trouble with that, as long as they don't end up dead in the river from over drinking.

But then there were the big-bellied men walking around shirtless, the older women in bikinis that they should not be wearing, and the worst - old men with their binoculars, eyeing the cute girls. Spring break is for the kids, and people my age need to stay out of it.  Let the kids have their fun.  As it was, I was glad to go back to the quiet of our RV.  Yes, I am old.

No comments:

Post a Comment