Saturday, March 29, 2014

Sandy

Out in the middle of nowhere.  That is where we were.  We could envision Dad working in the mill, cooled by all of the water there, while Mom, the newly-wed, sweltered through the day in the over 100 degree heat.  It would have been miserable for us too had it not been the perfect day.

When my parents were married, Dad's first job was in the mill of the Keystone Mine in Sandy, Nevada. Bart had visited the mine several years ago, and I wanted to see it.  So Friday was the day.  We decided to go when the temperature was going to be in the 70s rather than in the 90s, as was predicted for Saturday.





After going into the "town" to see the mill, we headed to the mine.  Good thing Bart had been here before.  Otherwise we would not have found it.



The ten-stamp mill left from the days Dad worked in the mine
As it was, there was little to distinguish it from anything else.  A few wooden structures, some holes in the ground.  But I loved seeing it.  It helped me understand a part of my parents' life that I had not really connected with.

I understand why my mother did not like Sandy - they did not even have air conditioning, although some of the people in the town did.  You would think the son of the owner would have it, but not in this case.  It was hot, dirty, dry . . . and unfulfilling for a young bride.  I am glad I did not have to endure such a thing, but seeing it gave me a great appreciation for the dedication my mother had for my father.

No comments:

Post a Comment