Monday, March 3, 2014

Bald Eagle Nest

I have been monitoring the bald eagle nest at Berry College.  It is a very close-up camera of the nest, and it even has night vision.  I have thoroughly enjoyed watching the eaglet in the nest and have wondered about the extra egg that has not hatched yet.

Apparently it is very common for the second egg not to hatch.  Just as it is common for miscarriages to occur, the same can happen to an egg.  In the case of eagles, they frequently continue to sit on the egg until it disintegrates or breaks, as it appears was happening with this eagle pair's second egg.

I came upon this video of a March 2 event that is pretty fun to watch.  Click on the link below and go to the 2 hour 33 minute section of the tape.  I watched through about the 2 hour 47 minute section.  In that section, the mother is eating what I believe is a loon but could be another kind of the bird, the father buries the egg, the mother feeds her eaglet, and then she settles on the nest.  Some have said she appears to be uncovering the buried egg . . . I couldn't tell.

Anyway, it is a fun video to watch!  Enjoy!

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/44403519

No comments:

Post a Comment