Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Two More Books to Read



The Wives of Los Alamos is another book to read if interested in WWII and the way Los Alamos geared up for the war.  After having read 109 East Palace and Girls of the Atomic City, I found the Wives to be an easier, breezier read.  The perspective it takes - that of a number of women in Los Alamos - does not target one particular person but instead generalizes feelings and events into short chapters.  Although it is a novel, the author has done enough research to bring reality to the story.  I found this book to be consistent with what was written in the other two books, but since it was written from a different voice, it was just as interesting.


Boys in a Boat is the most recent book I have read.  Transparency clause:  I still have fifty pages to read, but that does not keep me from recommending it.  I started the book on our way home from Wyoming, and by the time we drove into the cul-de-sac, I had fifty pages left.  It is killing me not to finish it, but things have just been too busy.  And this is the most important part!  But the book is wonderful.  Since I have an interest in rowing, it perhaps made it more appealing, but amazingly, back in the 1930's, rowing was the football of society.  Everyone in the country was wild about rowing . . . not quite sure I see why, but at the time, perhaps it was the most exciting thing around!

The author beautifully intertwines German history, personal anecdotes, and actual events into a compelling story.  I highly recommend reading it for a new outlook on pre-WWII Germany.

Both books are well worth your time!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment