Saturday, August 11, 2018

Never Say Never!

Earlier this spring, the Head of School at The Independent School resigned, leaving the School in a quandary.  It was too late to find someone to take his place, so they looked to Jenifer Pence, the Head of the Upper School, to fill in, hoping to find a Head of Upper School over the summer.

Unfortunately, most people had already signed contracts and were not available.  So in early July, I was called to have a conversation about being Head of the Upper School.  Yikes!  That was like a fish out of water for me, so we discussed my going part-time with another person in the Lower School.  I could do that one.

I didn't hear anything for some time and thought the matter was dead.  Then toward the end of July, I received another call asking if I would consider being the Head of School for a year.  Because we had some travels planned, I had some hesitation, because some of those were command performances!  But we discussed several of the issues, and how could I say no?  My kids have always called the School my third child . . . and so, of course, I said yes!

I didn't receive the official word until August 4, and I started three days later.  And I discovered there is a lot to learn . . . and a lot that is just the same!

I have thoroughly enjoyed being back at school . . . and I hope I can do some good.

At the end of the year, we will see, but for now, it is awesome!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment