Thursday, November 11, 2010

Autumn is Falling

I love certain aspects of autumn. Usually we don't have a lot of wind. The weather is cool in the mornings, warming up through the day. The mums bloom spectacularly. The leaves on the trees turn all sorts of colors, shining brightly in the sunlight.

But those leaves . . . they surely make a mess on my lawn. Raking leaves is just not my favorite activity. We have a beautiful maple tree in the front yard that I love . . . except for the first few weeks in November. Then all those gorgeous leaves that keep us cool in the summer have to be bagged or composted in the garden. Since most of the leaves don't fall until after daylight savings time has gone away, Don doesn't get home before dark to take care of them. So guess who gets to?

Today, the neighbors had mown their lawns so my leaf-infested yard really stood out. Since it was going to rain, I went out to pull as many of the leaves as I could onto the driveway so that Don and I could bag them tonight. Amazingly, that was pretty easy to do. One more good wind, and the leaves will be off the trees, and the leaf raking will be done for the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment