Monday, November 8, 2010

Hunger Games

The November book assigned by my book club is The Hunger Games. I wasn't looking forward to reading it, as I am not a science fiction lover. As I started to read it, I thought I couldn't get through it. The premise was too awful; the action was too intense for this Pollyanna.

I found that I would read a few pages in a chapter, and then I would have to put it down. But I couldn't put it down for long, because I had to find out what happened. Finally, in order to make sure I could finish it, I read the last two pages, just to see if anyone I cared about survived. Either way, it would help me be ready to accept whatever happened.

So I finished the book Sunday morning. And now I can't quit thinking about it. I don't know whether I want to get the second book or not. I am almost afraid to . . . but I am afraid not to. I suspect that I will get both the second and third books and read them the same way . . . and if it is too intense read the last few pages to give me a hint as to what will happen.

Of course, the last two pages in The Hunger Games were not what I thought they were, and it ended much differently than I had thought. So it is no guarantee . . . but it made it possible for me to finish it.

I can't wait for book club tonight. Should be a very interesting discussion!

No comments:

Post a Comment