Thursday, November 17, 2011

Fifty-nine and Counting!

Today was Don's 59th birthday. I knew he would be expecting me to do something special next year, but not this year . . . after all he is only 59. So I decided to have a surprise party.

About 35 of our friends gathered at Crestview at 6:30, expecting us at 6:45. My plans for getting Don to the country club didn't go as planned . . . but they worked just as well. Although I had thought we would put the RV away and then go to dinner, instead Don just wanted to get gas in his car and head out. That would have put us there too early, so I had to improvise. "Let's wait to watch the sports before we go. I want to see what's on about the 'Cats." Luckily he bought it.

The next challenge was getting him to go in the front door. A quick explanation that the new room is rented for a private party and we didn't want to play bingo meant that we would be in the Garden Room. He bought that one, too. So we walked into the Country Club. As we turned the corner, one of the helpers said "Welcome to the party." Don quizically looked at me, confused by the greeting and realizing that he recognized some of the people in the room.


"I've been scammed," he said to me as he walked into the room of friends. It was a fun way to celebrate the last year of a decade!



2 comments:

  1. yeah, but padre, these are the best sorts of scams!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you "scammed" him this year!! Happy Birthday Don!

    ReplyDelete