Saturday, March 17, 2012

Chena Hot Springs

Betsy had suggested that we visit Chena Hot Springs for a day, so on Saturday, we drove the 50 miles to get there. It was a lovely ride, and we saw some moose, both coming and going. The complex is at the end of the road, literally, and it is quite large, with several substantial log-cabin hotels.


It was about 2 degrees when we arrived . . . it was SO cold. (Later in the day, Don took this picture . . . -5 and going down!)


After we checked in, we went to the hot springs. We had to put on our swim suits, take a shower, and then go out in the 2 degree air to get to the pool. I, of course, left my flip flops in the room, so I had to walk the 100 feet or so in my bare feet. BRRR. But once we got in the water, all was ok. It was about 106 degrees . . . and hotter in places.

The steam was very thick, so sometimes we would lose each other in the fog. Soon our hair was totally white, caused by the steam turning to ice. Within about 30 minutes, I was so hot, I couldn't wait to get out. I sat on some rocks for awhile to cool down, then got dressed. It was really nice walking back to the room in 0 degree weather. Imagine that!

No comments:

Post a Comment