Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Girlfriends

When we were in Alaska, I received a reminder of how much I appreciate my girlfriends.

Kathy and I were friends through elementary school, especially when we were in the same class together. Betsy and I were the same, though we weren't in the same class very often. In junior high, Betsy and I walked together to Jefferson Junior High nearly every day; in high school we carpooled with Cori Simms and Sally Bone.

In tenth grade, I found out Anne Turbett was in a biology class at the same time I was. She lived across the street from my cousin, and in my mind, she was a legend. I was so happy to meet her because we had my cousins in common. Somehow, over the next few months, we began to hang out together. Anne introduced me to Susan Howard (we played volleyball together), Kathleen Rogers joined in, and somehow the six of us formed a strong bond.

After graduation, due mostly, I think, to Kathy's and Anne's efforts and a chain letter that sometimes took a year to go around, we stayed in touch - through marriages, children, moves, school, and busy lives.

Through it all, we were there to support each other in many ways. We had each had our share of bad times, but when Betsy was found to have breast cancer, the meaning of girlfriends took on a different dimension. And that is what made me get teary-eyed in Alaska.

Hanging in Betsy's bedroom was the quilt that Kathy spearheaded us to make for Betsy. We each made a square with our hand print and a heart. Kathy quilted it and sent it to Betsy so that she could have her friends' hands and hearts wrapped around her while she healed. It is a beautiful quilt. It is an exquisite reminder of our friendship.



These ladies mean so much to me . . . and to each other. We have been there through thick and thin, and we always will be there for each other. Thanks, ladies, for enriching my life. It's been fun.

1 comment:

  1. You know that I LOVE my girlfriends. Looking forward to a lifetime of memories with mine too!

    ReplyDelete