Friday, November 9, 2012

Reading Is Fundamental

One of the philanthropies in which Kappa Kappa Gamma has immersed itself is Reading Is Fundamental.  As a part of it, three times a year we go to read to classes and hand out books to children.  Yesterday (Thursday) was that day for me.

Unfortunately, it was a bad day for volunteers and I found myself reading to five classes consecutively, 20 minutes apiece.  Whew!  Haven't done that in a lot of years.  Good thing my voice was in good working order, since I have been practicing being loud at football games.

For the kindergarten through 3rd grades, I read PattySue Finds a Home and Happy Hippopotami.  They really liked PattySue, and how can a person not love the rhymes in Happy Hippopotami?

     Happy Hippopotamuses Climb aboard the picnic buses
     For a hippo holiday, in the merry month of May.

It is a great book for teaching rhyming, and PattySue has several rhymes in it too.  It is gratifying to see how much the children enjoy PattySue.

For the fifth-grade students, I read a portion of The Phantom Tollbooth.  It is one of the most fun books to read aloud, especially the part I read . . . when Milo meets the Doctor of Dissonance and his sidekick, Dynne.  I get to yell a lot, which scares the students, and I get to do some acting too.  They seemed to enjoy the book, and I always get a kick out of it.

The children love their new books, and I think the program is a very fun one.  Hoping that my presence makes a small impact on some of the children.

No comments:

Post a Comment