Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Red Cup is Here

In 2007, we arrived in London on October 31.  It was fun watching Halloween unfold in a different country, and in London, it didn't seem much different.

As we walked around the city that day and the ensuing ones, we saw signs all over that said, "The Red Cup is On Its Way" or something of the sort.  The signs were mostly in Starbucks, and sure enough, on November 3 (I think), the red Starbucks cups arrived in their stores.  Prior to that I hadn't noticed a starting date for "the Red Cup."

Today I stopped by Starbucks for my usual drink. ( I name my drink a different special, depending upon the day, but until December 8, I am ordering the Collin Klein for Heisman special!)  I digress.  Anyway, today when my order arrived, it was in a red cup.  I asked when the red cups had arrived, since I hadn't noticed it yesterday.  Today.


This year in the US Starbucks is not making a big deal over the red cup.  Maybe they aren't in London either.  But the fact that I noticed my drink in a red cup tells me the Starbucks marketing campaign was effective.

1 comment:

  1. I saw on twitter or instagram or pinterest (I can't remember where!) someone saying "The red cup is here!" so it DOES work. Now I want a latte.

    ReplyDelete