Friday, January 10, 2014

Yes, Virginia, There Is a God

As we come to the end of another Christmas season, complete with parties, decorations, and gifts, we tend to forget the real lesson of Christmas.  But luckily, this year, I have had frequent reminders.  God makes His presence known in many ways, and I have seen many instances of God's tender hand in my life.  The most recent "identifiable" one occurred on Monday.

Since September 30, our church has been operating without a priest.  We have had the very generous help of several supply priests around town, but generally, our secretary, bookkeeper, youth director, Vestry, and I have been doing the work.  My greatest fear was that someone would pass away and we would not have someone available who could perform the service.

Our new priest, Mary, arrived in town on Dec. 30, but since she was ill, she did not come into the church until Monday morning.  She and her husband, Tim, were arranging her office, trying to get ready for the week.  Within two hours of her arrival, the church received the call.  A woman had passed away that weekend, and although she was not a member of our parish, the family wanted us to perform the service since she had been attending our service at her retirement home.

It was perfect.  We actually had someone to do the service.  And Mary says that has happened to her at nearly every church she has served.  Her first service has usually been a funeral.

I feel very fortunate that I did not have to deal with the funeral, and I am grateful to God that he had mercy on me.  And I am more grateful that we were able to find such a terrific priest.  It is going to be an awesome partnership.  Thanks be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment