Thursday, December 9, 2010

Interesting Mail Deliveries

This week has been an interesting one. First I received a letter from a friend from whom I haven't heard in a long time. It was a wonderful Christmas gift.

Then I received a letter from Kenneth. Not particularly unusual, except that the return address was from his apartment in LA - and he hasn't been there since June. It was clearly a Hallmark card . . . so I opened it with curiosity. Inside was the Mother's Day card he had written last May. The stamp wasn't even cancelled . . . it was as if it has been hiding in the mailbox all this time only to show itself on December 8.

I have always been one to defend the post office. They handle an incredible amount of mail with amazing accuracy and efficiency. Yet I always wonder what the story of letters such as this one is . . . did it get put in a bag and left there until someone found it? Did it go to the bottom of a box and get stuck there? Has it been in a post office truck and gone around the United States before it found its way to me? I will never know, but I am glad to know my son really did put the card in the mail.

1 comment:

  1. Clearly it met up with all of its other letter friends and went on an 8-month bender.

    ReplyDelete