Thursday, December 23, 2010

Santa's Tracks

When I was in the seventh grade, we had to write a story about our family's Christmas traditions. One student in the class wrote about his family's tradition of putting flour on a cookie sheet and placing it in front of the fireplace. Then when Santa came down the chimney, he would step in the cookie sheet and leave his footprint. When I heard that story, I told myself I would remember to do that when I had children.


Fast forward about 20 years. Once Kenneth was old enough to understand, we began to put the flour in front of the fireplace. Every year, Santa would leave his footprint in the flour. We would then mix plaster of Paris and make a cast of the footprint. Now we have a number of plaster casts of Santa's footprint in the basement.

The biggest challenge we always had was keeping the dogs out of the flour. One year we weren't very successful . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment