Sunday, January 16, 2011

Cinderella's Castle

I don't know where I have been all of the times I have gone to Disneyland and DisneyWorld, but somehow I missed the note that there is a real castle in Germany from which the Cinderella Castle was designed. So when Chuck Morgan suggested we go to Neuschwanstein, I was fine with it . . . even though I didn't know what it was. I found out soon enough.

The drive from Innsbruck was spectacular - pictures tomorrow. The day was the only crystal clear day we had, and thank goodness it was! Once we arrived in the town of Hohenschwangau and purchased our tickets, we climbed into the horse-drawn carriage and headed up the hill to
the castle.


The castle was built by King Ludwig, who some said was crazy but others just said was eccentric. Although it took over ten years to build, it was never completed . . . only four rooms were totally done. The trip was well worth it, however. Enjoy a few pictures of Neuschwanstein.



We signed up for the tour that was in English, and the guide took us through the throne room, the king's bedroom/office, the kitchen, and the servants' quarters. Seeing the mosaic floor in the throne room and the chandelier were worth the price of admission - and there was plenty more to see. This is one king who had good taste!

No comments:

Post a Comment