Saturday, January 22, 2011

Feeding Birds

I love to feed birds - except it brings with it squirrels, mice, and some birds I am not particularly fond of (and the occasional raccoon - a story for another time). So I am not always consistent with my bird seed.

Usually we get many sparrows, some juncos, a few cardinals, and some finches. But on occasion, a surprise awaits. Today was one of those days. I happened to look outside just in time to see a Cedar Waxwing on the Nandina bushes, chomping on some of the beautiful red berries the bush has on it. Then I looked again to see a whole flock (group? herd? gaggle? bunch?) of Cedar Waxwings in our Cypress tree. There were probably 50 of them.

I had never seen a Cedar Waxwing at our house before. They are gorgeous little birds . . . and they loved those Nandina berries. But as soon as they were here, they were gone again. Please come back pretty birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment