Monday, January 3, 2011

The Sandalmaker Shop

When I visited the Athens sandalmaker's shop back in 1970, I purchased two pairs of sandals. One pair, I wore all the time; the other I saved for a rainy day (I guess). I couldn't throw the worn-out pair of sandals away, however - I loved them so much. And I didn't want to wear the other pair because I loved them, too, and didn't want to wear them out - I know, illogical and pathetic . . . but that was my thought process.

When we visited the sandalmaker's shop before Christmas, I saw he still makes the same pair of sandals I purchased in 1970 - except he adds a rubber sole now. So I purchased a pair just like my faves and brought them home. The scary thing is I walked right to my worn-out pair and pulled them out. They were such trusty sandals that served me well. I also still have all of my information about that trip in 1970, and I noted that the sandals cost me $3 (150 drachmas at the time). What a bargain!

Now I have another trusty pair, and although they didn't cost $3, they were very reasonably priced. I might finally feel like I can wear the other pair I bought in 1970, since I don't anticipate waiting another 40 years to return to Greece. So here is a picture of all three pairs
of sandals - 40-year-old new, 40-year-old old, and brand new!

No comments:

Post a Comment