Monday, January 24, 2011

Go Packers!

I love football! I especially love college football! But suddenly, I am really excited about the Super Bowl.

As a young girl, we always went to the New Mexico Lobos football games. Then we would watch the Dallas Cowboys on Sundays - back when Don Meredith, Jethro Peugh, "Too Tall" Jones, and Bobby Hayes played. I loved the Cowboys until Tom Landry left, and I lost my passion for NFL football. I replaced that passion with college football.

Although I became a big K-State fan, I would watch pro ball but I never had a special team. I soon began to follow the Chiefs - sort of - and when Terence Newman was drafted by the Cowboys, I at least watched to see him play. I rooted (loudly, by the way) for Terence, but I just can't root for the Cowboys. And then the Packers (a team I have always liked because of their small market appeal) drafted Jordy. Jordy Nelson. KSU player Jordy Nelson.

I loved watching Jordy play at K-State. He was a bright spot in some rather miserable KSU football years. And then, after he was drafted, I got to meet him while at a Football 101 camp (that's Shirley Meissner in the picture with me). Jordy was exactly as he had been billed . . . affable, nice, a good kid. So I began to follow Green Bay. And I watched Jordy, who just kept doing well. As this season progressed, he was a consistent receiver for the Packers, and in yesterday's game, he had several key catches.


Earlier this year, we went to Leonardville to eat in his parents' restaurant, Nelson's Landing. I was told when he would come back to Kansas, he could be found working in the kitchen, serving food, and helping out around the building. How could you not help but root for him?

So in two weeks, for the first time in a long time, I actually care who wins the Super Bowl. I really want the Packers. Go Jordy!


1 comment:

  1. That's legit. I'll be rooting for Jordy, too. Although I don't understand why you would root for the Cowboys as a child but not now. How exactly did Tom Landry's departure change that team for the worse?

    ReplyDelete