Sunday, August 14, 2011

We've been IKEA'd!



We took Diana down to Austin for her PhD program, knowing that we were going to have to purchase some furniture for her once we arrived. As we were driving in, it was impossible to miss the extremely large IKEA sign on I-35, about 14 miles from her new home. So Saturday, after her bed was delivered, we headed to IKEA.

I had never been to an IKEA store. When we arrived, the spacious parking lot was nearly full . . . which was not a good omen. We walked in, not knowing exactly what we were in for. We found that we had entered a maze filled with furniture. After about two hours, we packed the car and headed for home. Yikes!

And this carload did not even include one chest of drawers. They were out of that one, and Di is going to have to go back next weekend for it.

When we got home, we began to put the furniture together. Yikes, again! It wasn't really very hard, but the two items with drawers were definitely more complicated. Diana and I had to take her nightstand back apart, as we had inadvertently turned the sides upside down - oops! But within six or so hours, we had put together a file drawer, a night stand, three bookcases, and a desk. Whew!

I easily understand why many people love IKEA. It is affordable, and the furniture does go together well. The holes are where they are supposed to be, the fasteners are accurately counted, and only basic tools are needed to put it together. I doubt Diana will need any more furniture, but if she does, I know where she will go!

1 comment:

  1. Jon worked for a while on Friday night putting together my new IKEA desk and Mom had to help me finish up on Saturday with my bookshelf. But now that they are done and filled with my things, I'm SO happy with them. I did want to curse a couple of times...

    ReplyDelete