Monday, December 19, 2011

Heartbreak

I really thought our Sepster would be with us a little longer, but it wasn't to be. By this morning (Monday) I knew he was not going to last many more days. He couldn't stand up very well, he teetered and fell frequently, and he couldn't get comfortable. As much as I was hoping he would leave us on his own, he was such a loyal dog, I knew he would hang on for several more days. He had a really rough night, and I couldn't prolong his misery.

Thankfully our vet stays open late on Mondays, so I arranged to bring Sepia in at 7:20 p.m. All day, Diana and I sat with him while he slept. We hugged him, we pet him, we picked him up and carried him around. We did our best to make his last hours the best they could be.

After dinner, Don, Diana, Joey (our nephew), and I took Sepia to the vet. Thankfully, they had a special room all set so we could say good bye to him. And he peacefully slipped away from us. It was terribly sad, but he is out of pain now. We will remember the way he used to turn around and kick us when he wanted attention, how he loved to go to McDonald's for dog bones, how he would lay in bed on his back for hours if we would scratch his tummy, how he would sit on my lap in the RV, how he would wait in the car for us all the time looking out the window for us, and how he loved to take walks. We won't forget our Sepia.

Now I am worried about Babs, his sister. Currently, she is just confused. I am hoping she handles the quiet. We will all miss Sepia, one of the sweetest dogs ever.

1 comment:

  1. I thought about you this morning and wondered where you were in blog land. Sad day indeed.

    ReplyDelete