Wednesday, December 7, 2011

My Sepster

Why do I allow myself to love my dogs so much? At times like this, when I know my heart is about to be broken, I ask that question. And as Kenneth reminded me one year, "Mom, the 363 days a year they bring joy to you is worth the two days a year they cause you to worry." So right . . . but it still hurts.

Sepster started going downhill a few months ago. I noticed it when he abruptly quit eating his beloved peanut butter; the green beans weren't far behind. Now, although he seems interested in eating, he just doesn't. He is getting weaker and weaker, his bright eyes are turning sad, and he is sleeping a lot.

Each dog has its own personality, and Sepia is the first cuddler I have ever had. In the RV, he loved to sit on my lap while we were driving. On the couch, he would tuck himself into the curve in my knees to sleep. When I would go downstairs, he would follow. No matter where I would go, he was there. He is still trying to be . . . but it isn't easy.

The vet says he is having liver issues. We could find out what it is, but the prognosis is the same. So why put him through it? I am trying to love him and care for him as long as we can. That's the least I can do for a dog who gave me total and unconditional love for 14 years.

1 comment: