Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Mardi Gras

All these years, I have never been to a Mardi Gras party.  No, Shrove Tuesday pancake suppers don't count.  The Martis lived in Louisiana for a number of years, and Ginny has really embraced the cajun food and celebrations.  So she decided to host a party, and lucky us, we were invited!

I decided to purchase some masks, Ginny had beads, and we all made a different recipe.  When Don and I arrived in our masks, Ginny threw us some beads, and the festivities were on.  Well, what festivities with six old people, but never mind . . . we enjoy each other's company, and that's what counts!

Ginny made a wonderful gumbo.  I thought gumbo was seafood, but I learned it can also be made with chicken, which is what we had.  I also learned that the heart of gumbo is the roux.  A good roux takes a lot of time to make.  Guess I won't be making gumbo!

Kathy made a salad to go with the gumbo, and I made the King Cake.  I had heard of King Cakes before, but had never made them.  When Ginny gave me the instructions, I thought, "Oh no, what have I gotten myself into?"  But once I started, I discovered it was very easy.



The particular king cake we made was an almond-flavored one with a lot of butter and cream cheese.  It couldn't miss, could it?  It was quite the hit, and now I will be able to make a King Cake anytime I want one!

No comments:

Post a Comment