Friday, February 15, 2013

The More Things Change

. . . the more they stay the same.

I was reviewing my blog posts from last year, and I specifically read the one I wrote about Lent.  Funny . . . I could have written the exact same thing this year:


  • Gave up sweets.  Check.
  • Walking four miles a day.  Check.
  • Wanting to lose weight.  Check.
  • Nothing is happening.  Check
The one difference is that I have also given up Diet Coke.  When I read earlier this week that people who drink one Diet Coke each week are 33% more likely to get diabetes (and those who drink more than that are 66% more likely), I decided I finally needed to drop the habit.  If Victoria can do it, so can I, right?

So on Tuesday night, I said good bye to Diet Coke.  I have done this before and eventually gone back to it, but I am hoping this time, I can permanently ditch the habit.  Unfortunately, I hate coffee, so I can't use it as a substitute.  And I am not real excited about tea . . .

So far, Very Berry refreshers from Starbucks have been a nice substitute.  Only 60 calories and fairly healthy . . . or at least that is what I think.

Anyway, I am hoping that by ditching both sweets and Diet Coke, the 10,000 steps I have been walking will start to show up on the scales.  We'll see!

2 comments:

  1. The zero calorie NATURALLY sparkling water - laCroix, seagrams, canada dry - helped a ton. Still get to crack a can without it being diet coke. And I only have one cup of coffee in the morning - I drink a lot of water. :-) And I didn't magically lose five pounds but I feel great off fake sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious! I was just going to tell you my secret to giving up the diet coke, but Victoria already beat me to it. I like Seagrams-Key Lime and Blackberry Raspberry and Canada Dry-Cranberry. It does mean that I always have to take my own drink places. You can do it! I don't even want Diet Coke anymore. I didn't replace it with coffee, but I do like unsweetened iced tea.

    ReplyDelete