Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Galileo's Daughter

On our trip to Texas, I read our April book club book - Galileo's Daughter.  I happened to really like the book, but I know it won't be for everyone.

The book details Galileo's life and his struggles between his scientific work and his devotion to the Catholic Church.  The intriguing part of the story involves letters that were written by his daughter to him.  His replies back to her were all destroyed, so it is a rather one-way conversation, but the letters reveal much about Galileo and his relationship with his daughter.

The research conducted by Dava Sobel, the author, must have taken years, as it appeared that the story was very accurate.  I am sure there were some portions that she had to invent, but in general I think she remained true to the story and the times.

I really liked reading about how Galileo tested his hypotheses, how he navigated the slippery slope of politics, how he survived in a difficult environment.  For some, the book will probably not move as quickly as they like, but I found it interesting and enlightening enough, that I was able to complete it on the drive to and from Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment